Wednesday, June 5, 2013

A Colored Version of Giuseppe's Discovery


I've been creating new portfolio pieces for the upcoming Los Angeles SCBWI conference. Several pieces are based off of Matthew Kirby's The Clockwork Three (which is a great read!) I first created interior black and white charcoal drawings, and then decided I'd take one of them and do a pastel painting. Aaaaand, voila!

My goal here was to keep the palette pretty close together (since there's a ton of pastels to choose from, it can sometimes get crazy layering them). But I also wanted to make the color more sophisticated than simply a monochromatic or analogous palette, which seems to be a common formula. So, this went a bit more triadic with dominant green, brown, and violet.

Today is an Art Day with friend and fellow illustrator, Lauren Gallegos Tomes! Check out her work here at laurengallegos.com. My goal is to draw Draw DRAW and create new ideas. I'll post some of the work when I get back in my own studio later tonight.

I'm a little behind on blogging about NYC (it takes forever to touch up and sort photos, and I'd rather be drawing, so I'll get to that slowly but surely...priorities people!!)

Thanks for reading!
Katy

No comments: