Thursday, August 2, 2012

Trees of Knowledge


The SCBWI Summer conference in Los Angeles starts tomorrow morning at 8:30!!

Today is a bit crazy as I try to pack (I'm heading to L.A. tonight) and get my portfolio in order. However, I wanted to post a new illustration that I made this week. It's called "Trees of Knowledge"and is inspired by my recent trip to the Sequoia Forest, my love for Gothic architecture and stained glass windows. Have you ever stood in the colorful dappled lighting inside a dark Gothic cathedral? It's is a magical, very spiritual experience and that is what I wanted to capture here. I felt the same way when I visited the Giant Sequoias. The trees here act as pillars of ancient wisdom and make a sacred space for imagination!

Anyway, I will have to come back to this post and tell you more about the girl, the book she's holding, and particularly the illuminated page she has discovered, which reveals a glowing image of a heraldic Unicorn!

More to come on Monday after the conference!



No comments: