Sunday, September 11, 2011

God Bless America, My Home Sweet Home


I can't believe it's been 10 years since the September 11th attacks.
Right now as I write this, I'm watching live coverage of the memorial service. They are announcing all the names of each person that died that day. Each name being said was a life, a soul. It's hard to fathom.

I was living in California in 2001, so when the first plane crashed into the tower at 8:46am, I was asleep. My roommate at the time burst into the room and said, "Wake up! Come watch the news! We're under attack!" The images on screen were unbelievable. I'll never forget it. Today I was able to watch a small tribute parade on main street here in Sarasota, FL, and I wanted to take a further moment to remember that day.

In February 2006, I was in New York City and had the opportunity to pay my respects at Ground Zero. I know that my mind cannot grasp the magnitude of the tragedy, but seeing the site helped in trying to understand the historical and emotional impact that forever changed America.


Above is a snapshot of Ground Zero - the square acre-sized hole that remained after. I had to shoot this picture through a chain link fence, but now they have built a lovely waterfall fountain memorial. I love the design because the gaping crater is still there to remind us of what happened, but the water represents spirit, life, reflections, memories. See the Memorial here.

Below are a few other snapshots from my trip to NY in 2006. 

This is me in front of the Metropolitan Museum. New York, what an awesome place!

No comments: