Monday, July 4, 2011

4th & Freedom

It's already July 4th...2011 is going by fast! And, it's 95 degrees and only 9:30 in the morning! I'll happily be staying inside my air-conditioned studio ALL day, except for this evening when it's time to light the BBQ and watch fireworks. Until then, I'll be sketching out ideas for a new painting related to my Guardians of the Heart series. I'm going to develop this concept sketch a bit further:


I want to create a tug-of-war between the Musicorns and the Devourlings, so I'll be adding several more characters. For inspiration, the choir angels in the Ghent Altarpiece came to mind. I had the privilege of standing before this beautiful masterpiece when I was in Belgium, at the Saint Bavo cathedral.
(I love Gothic architecture!!! So impressive and beautiful!!!)



The Ghent altarpiece is exquisite, enormous, and guarded by glass. Peering through at it, one of the most curious scenes I noticed was the faces of the angels:



They all look alike and their facial expressions are really weird. Some look like they're in pain due to slight facial contortions. Yet, they are supposed to be praising God. Perhaps they are just singing with feeling! Or, they are in agony over the lamb's impending sacrificial death. Strange, but I like it for some reason. Oftentimes blessings come through tears and pain, and these angels are empathizing with the whole situation.

Anyway, I'll be using this angelic choir cluster as inspiration for my tug-of-war. Sketches to be posted soon!

No comments: