Monday, January 3, 2011

Prayer Warrior progress pics

I can't express how wonderful it is to spend 8 hours at the easel making a painting instead of at the computer writing a thesis. This is bliss, and I am taking advantage of winter break to make art!!! Here are some pics of my most recent painting, Prayer Warrior, for my graduate show.
Burnt Sienna and Sap Green acrylic underpainting, 16x20 wood box panel, starting to block in the oils.

 I started with bright colors, then built up a more neutral payne's gray palette, leaving some of the vibrancy peeking out in areas .

 The background is blocked in; next step was to paint the figures. I'm quickly working wet into wet the whole time.
 The initial blocking in complete. When it's dry I'll go back with more layers to glaze in color, add textures and details.

A snapshot of my tabaret!

No comments: