Sunday, July 18, 2010

ICON 6!!!

I just got back from ICON 6, the illustration conference held at the Langham Hotel in Pasadena.
Oh my, it was AMAZING. I have never had so much fun, met so many wonderful people, and never learned so much about the illustration industry. I am completely overwhelmed and totally loving it!!!

The best part about this conference was meeting people face-to-face! I got to talk with some of my art heroes and pick their brain. We shared stories, laughs, fears, failures, and successes. I feel like I made friends with kindred spirits and became part of the illustration family. Now, whenever I go to the studio and begin the work week, I will think of these people and know I have advocates out there. We illustrators are all in this passionate pursuit together.

I can't wait for Monday!

 Here are a few highlights in pictures:

Illustrator friends Aileen Holmes, I forgot sorry!, and Joe Cepeda

The Georgian Ballroom where we had Roundtable Lunch
Discussions with Industry Professionals. 
 On Friday I had lunch with:
the owner of JUNC Gallery, Mike Kelley
Intellectual Property Attorney, Susan Grode
On Saturday:
Artist Agent, Jen Vaughn
Illustrator, John Hendrix

Main Stage in the Huntington Ballroom

The charming, uber-talented and wonderful Yuko Shimizu

 All of us girls fell in love with this guy's dog...

 
Superheroes Jamie Zollars and John Hendrix

The amazing Chris Buzelli. I met his wife Soo Jin who is a creative director. 
They're a dream team!

The one and only Jeff Soto

I had dinner with Joe Cepeda and Tatiana El-Khouri, 
two prolific, inspirational and ambitious entrepreneurial illustrators.

Me and illustrator Cathie Bleck being silly and having a ball! 

I love Cathie's work! She gave me some great advice and took the time to talk 
and sign her book that I bought.

I finally got to meet Jo Ann Miller from Directory of Illustration!

Lovely artist rep, Jen Vaughn, who was so sweet!

Our technicolor Closing Party DJ, famous illustrator Tim Biskup

 My delightful roommate, art director and illustrator Barbara Kosoff

And lastly, the view from our room. 


*Sigh. The hype has only just begun. This coming Friday I'm going to Comic Con, and the weekend after that is SCBWI. It is officially conference month! One down, two to go!

2 comments:

Sideache said...

It was a good conference eh?

Chloe Yingst said...

where's the photo of you and I? eh? love this entry about ICON, you did a good job summing it up!