Monday, June 7, 2010

Lost Ones: Ghosts of Paris Book Cover

I recently finished a book cover for a project I've been working on with Zittaw Press. The book is a YA fiction novel called Lost Ones: Ghosts of Paris, written by Christie Franke.

Here are a few pics of my production process. 
After sketching out ideas, I made a final line drawing of the one I liked the best....


















I also set up still life objects to help me see details:














Next, I scanned in the drawing and did a quick value study in Photoshop, using placeholder text to make sure there was enough room for a title...


















I then made a version by hand in charcoal. 
I enjoy making an actual black and white piece. It allows me to work from a tighter value drawing and make further adjustments as I go...














 



































I scanned this charcoal drawing into the computer, printed it out onto paper, then glued the paper to illustration board...














From this point I began to lay in thin washes of acrylic, painting more opaquely as I went...



















...eventually reaching a stopping point when the piece looked finished!



































The book will be available to purchase in October of this year!!
You can stay up to date on the progress and learn more about Lost Ones: Ghost's of Paris by joining the Facebook Group!  

1 comment:

passport in my pocket said...

Katy, this is AWESOME! you are such a talent!!